While we twiddle our thumbs and wait for summer, let’s think about honeymoons for a change! The lovely folks from 101 Honeymoons (who you will find in the English Wedding Directory) have shared some fave destinations with us today… and while I’m a Sugar & Loaf style, UK glamping girl at heart, those stunning blue seas and skies of the Maldives are looking pretty appealing right now! Which is your dream honeymoon destination?
1. The dreamy islands of the Maldives and the exciting buzz of the Arabian Gulf make a great combination, particularly for a winter honeymoon. Many flights to the Maldives now include a change of aircraft in Dubai or Abu Dhabi so it’s easy to add on a few days of dining, shopping and sightseeing. Find the best two-centres with Barefoot Traveller.
2. For a gorgeous eco-friendly honeymoon close to home, check out Sugar & Loaf which has a charming collection of romantic cottages for two, yurts in summer meadows and boho-style boutique hotels, mostly in rural Wales.
3. The Atlantic islands of Cape Verde combine influences of Brazil, West Africa and Portugal. Great for island hopping and cut-price winter sun with only a six-hour direct flight from the UK. The best specialist operator is Cape Verde Experience.
4. Far from the mega clubs and the heaving resorts, there’s a secret side to the “White Island”. Check into a stylish little boutique hotel or a rented house hidden away behind olive groves and pine forests. These have all been handpicked by the team at i-escape.
5. The IKOS group in Greece has taken the all-inclusive hotel concept and given it the five-star treatment. Their properties are all great value, but you won’t find long queues at lukewarm buffets and bad evening entertainment. Instead, you’ll find a choice of a la carte restaurants plus the chance to dine around at local restaurants.
6. You can’t beat India for a full-on multi-sensory experience. The Golden Triangle of Rajasthan works best for a honeymoon – Delhi, Jaipur and the Taj Mahal in Agra. Let an expert operator such as Transindus create a seamless, hassle-free itinerary for you.
7. If you like the idea of an English country cottage but don’t know where to start, take a look at Rural Retreats which has meticulously put together a collection of romantic properties for two from Cornwall to Northumberland.
8. If you share a love of adventure, food and Asian culture, how about a honeymoon in Japan, combining neon-lit cities with mountain retreats, hot springs, beaches and impeccable gardens filled with cherry blossom or autumn leaves. Book with InsideJapan Tours.
9. The Caribbean is a wonderful year-round honeymoon destination, but some of the hotels can be a bit bland. If your tastes run more towards the quirky and small scale, take a look at Essential Detail, which brings together the best luxury boutique boltholes across the region, from buzzing Barbados to tiny Bequia in the Grenadines.
10. Italy’s Amalfi Coast has countless romantic associations from Lord Byron to Gina Lollobrigida. The spectacular scenery is matched only by the quality of the hotels: this is all about old-school Italian elegance rather than the latest hipster trends.
101 Honeymoons is the UK’s leading independent honeymoon website. 101 Honeymoons is edited by award-winning travel writer Jane Anderson who has spent many years researching and writing about honeymoon destinations.
Jane was Travel Editor at You & Your Wedding magazine for 10 years and regularly writes for leading newspapers and magazines including The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Elle.