A guest article by English Wedding Directory members Last Minute Musicians
At Last Minute Musicians, we asked ourselves a question – what are the most popular cover songs being played by the wedding bands on our directory? As such, we recently carried out a survey of over 2500 bands to find out what was on their wedding set list.
We came up with a list of 60 of the most popular Rock/Pop hits, and 40 of the most popular Jazz and Classical pieces and it’s from this list that we’ve picked out twenty favourite cover songs other brides and grooms have requested, to help you with the process of selecting music for your big day!
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
- Rolling In The Deep – Adele
- At Last – Etta James
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Aint Nobody – Chaka Khan
- American Boy by Estelle
- Dancing In The Street by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
- Good Times – Chic
- I Feel Good – James Brown
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
- I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross
- Locked Out Of Heaven by Bruno Mars
- Lovely Day by Bill Withers
- Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 ft Christina Aguilera
- Mr Brightside – The Killers
- Proud Mary by Tina Turner
- Rock With You by Michael Jackson
- Stand By Me – Ben E. King
- Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars
- We Are Family by Sister Sledge
Most wedding bands are prepared to take a few requests in advance, but remember that learning and rehearsing new material takes time – so always get them in early. Bands aren’t jukeboxes, so try not to request too many songs the band don’t already know. As a guide, two or three requests will probably be fine, as long as you give them notice, but don’t simply expect a band to be able to recite your favourite music without any preparation!
Keep in mind, some bands offer learning new material as a service and may add a surcharge for lots of additional requests.
Top tip: If you’re looking to have your band play a cover song for your first dance, it’s a good idea to ask them as soon as you have one decided, or even consult with them beforehand to see if they have any good recommendations… if anyone knows what’s popular, it’s them!
Images by our lovely friend and sponsor, Dorset wedding photographers Linus Moran Photography