What are blogs – for the uninitiated
Wedding blogs are more than a daily dose of wedding pretty. They’re more than real weddings; more than ideas and inspiration. Wedding blogs are one of the best tools out there for matchmaking couples with amazing suppliers.
Behind the scenes, wedding blogs are a machine. Bloggers are searching daily for shoots, images, product launches and ideas to share with readers. We’re always looking to discover amazing photographers, designers and new trends. We work to editorial calendars; we plan in advance; we sell advertising space on our websites.
Why they exist and how to make the most of them
Wedding blogs are the new wedding magazines. While we all love flicking through a printed mag, blogs took over with readership numbers a few years ago. Magazines sell hundreds of thousands of copies; blogs count their readers in the millions.
Blogs are instant. They have new features several times a day. Readers love their freshness; wedding suppliers in the know love their accessibility.
For promotion – free or paid
You’ll pay hundreds for a tiny classified ad in a wedding magazine.
You’ll often pay nothing for a front page feature on a wedding blog.
You also have the option of paying to become a blog advertiser / sponsor and getting many more regular front page features.
And if you own your own website, you’ll know about SEO. Blogs are pretty awesome when it comes to boosting your search ranking.
Ten top tips for making the most of wedding blogs
- Know your blogs. Find a favourite, subscribe and get to know the blogger through their features. Comment and share their Facebook and Instagram updates. Your support WILL be noticed.
- Think of wedding blogs as a wider stage for your business. Make a plan to get on that stage and share your work!
- Gather up your best photography. Write an introduction to your business which will make the blogger smile. Don’t be shy – send that email and ask for an opportunity to share on their blog.
- Be inspired by what you see on wedding blogs. Use them to discover new suppliers in your area, reach out and say hello! Watch out for new trends – blogs are an amazing place to discover them – and incorporate them into your latest projects.
- Consider sponsoring a blog for the chance to publish regular features – The English Wedding Blog makes this a key part of sponsorship because it works.
- Submit real weddings. Bloggers are always looking for new features and photographers we haven’t featured before.
- Style a shoot – it’s the best way to promote your business on blogs and a great opportunity to collaborate with other local businesses too. Blogs love shoots 🙂
- Explore different blogs, and experiment with features and sponsorship to see which suits your brand and business best. Your brand might be eclectic and alternative… but your customers might find you via blogs with a regional focus instead.
- Make a plan. Investing in blog sponsorship can be expensive, but the opportunity is pure gold for your business. List the features you’ll publish: a styled shoot in January, a special offer in February, brilliant advice in March…
- Learn from wedding blogs and ask for advice on marketing through blogs – if you’re new to blog advertising, remember every UK wedding blog has a person at its heart: me, Annabel, Lou, Julia, Kat, Louise… and we’ve all learned how to make our blogs work hard for us. Ask for our advice to make them work even harder for you and your brand.
Are you interested in finding out more about wedding blog advertising?
- Does wedding blog advertising actually work?
- How to join the English Wedding Blog as a recommended supplier
- Blog advertising: an odd question & answer
- Before you advertise on a wedding blog, read this!
- A blogger’s perspective on taking detail shots – even if you don’t want to!
- The suppliers’ secret to getting featured on wedding blogs
- Blog advertising: a winner for new wedding businesses
The images shown above are a bonus sneak peek… see the full shoot on Sunday morning here on the English Wedding Blog!