I’m just trying to remember who was the last celebrity to feature on the English Wedding Blog. There haven’t been many, safe to say! Eric Morecambe in today’s seaside wedding is quite possibly the coolest – see what you think: we’ve had David Mitchell (from Mitchell & Webb), the ex lead singer from 70s punk band The Stranglers, and Kirstie Allsopp. That’s probably about it.
(David Mitchell was a wedding guest on a blog feature last year. The Stranglers’ singer wasn’t in any photos, and Kirstie Allsopp just wrote a book my calligraphy was in. So yeah, I’m stretching the truth here! Oh – did I mention Eric Morecambe appears here in statue form? Hehe.)
To be honest I’m not into celeb culture – I don’t read magazines very often and I’m rarely aware of anything Kim Kardashian does. I don’t think I’m missing anything! The glamorous couples I’d rather read about are the brides and grooms who appear on the English Wedding Blog – like today’s star couple Charlotte and Phil. They were married at Morecambe’s fabulous Midland Hotel, an internationally renowned art deco wedding venue. Their seaside wedding has oodles of personality and style – you’re going to love it!
With thanks to Jonathan Bean Photography for the images, and to Phil and Charlotte for the fantastic wedding report. Hugs to you all! Claire x
Charlotte and Phil – a gorgeous 1950s inspired seaside wedding in Morecambe
The fantastic Jonathan Bean at Beanphoto.
How would you describe your wedding style?
We took a lot of inspiration for our wedding from the venue and the beautiful location. We had a loose British seaside theme mixed with some 1950’s retro elements. We wanted a relaxed day filled with fun and laughter.
Invitations and reception stationery:
Our invitations were lovingly designed by one of our bridesmaids and Phil’s sister Claire, who is very artistic and her help throughout planning was invaluable. They incorporated the red and blue that were used throughout the wedding and Art Deco writing used to reflect the style of the hotel.
What did you both wear?
Charlotte wore a beautiful fishtail Justin Alexander dress (8596) from Butterfly Bridal in Lancaster. Her shoes were “Lady Dragon Heart” by Vivienne Westwood + Melissa Shoes with a metallic red heart to match the bridesmaid’s dresses. Accessories – Earrings were 1930’s style pearl drop earrings from Vintagestyler. Side tiara from Ivory and Co and bracelet was a last minute buy from local shop Arteria.
A little about the wedding ceremony:
We had our civil ceremony at The Midland hotel. The guests arrived to “Save Room” by John Legend and “Bride Of Theme” by Eels. Charlotte walked down the aisle to “I love NYE” by Badly Drawn Boy and we signed the registrar to “I Love Every Little Thing About You” by Stevie Wonder and an instrumental of “Winter Winds” by Mumford and Sons. We were both so pleased with the Registrar, he made the ceremony feel very special and personal and was great at calming our nerves! We walked out as Husband and Wife to “Made Up Lovesong” by the Guillemots.
Which readings did you choose?
We decided on one wedding reading – “A Lovely Love Story” by Edward Monkton about two dinosaurs that fall in love despite their differences, which was read beautifully by one of our Ushers, Adam.
Tell us a little about your wedding venue styling and details:
The Midland Hotel is a beautiful 1930’s Art Deco hotel that has recently been restored back to it’s former glory but with a contemporary edge. The venue is so fantastic and did not need much styling, we decided that too many decorations could detract from the amazing floor to ceiling windows and the truly stunning views across the bay to The Lake District.
Charlotte and her Bridesmaid Claire made most of the decorations, they made bunting to match the red and blue used throughout the wedding.
We hung honeycomb balls from the ceiling.
The table decorations were – stripy sweet bags filled with seaside rock pieces that had various sayings such as ‘just married’, ‘all you need is love’ and ‘Mr and Mrs’, red heart bubble tubes, retro fortune tellers and jam jars covered in lace used as candle holder for the evening reception.
The children had activity packs to keep them entertained during the wedding breakfast.
Wedding music and entertainment:
We decided on a DJ and asked all our guests for two song choices – their favourite song and a guilty pleasure guaranteed to get them up dancing. There was some very unexpected and funny guilty pleasures! We had a seaside cut-out board made for us by Charlotte’s work colleagues and plenty of photo-props.
Memorable wedding day moments:
The whole day was fantastic and it is very hard to pick a few memorable moments, but…
- The ceremony is probably the part of the day that got the least attention during the planning but it was the most special.
- The realisation that we are now married!
- The amazing food at The Midland Hotel.
- Our dog Buster coming for some photos in his bow tie.
- Having pictures taken on the beach as the sun was setting on a perfect day.
- The randomness of the songs and dancing at the evening reception.
Phil’s favourite moments:
- Seeing Charlotte coming down the aisle
- The speeches were very heartfelt and laugh-out-loud funny
- The last two songs of the evening, “One Day Like This” by Elbow, being circled by all our friends and family and then leaving to “Bring me Sunshine” by Morecambe & Wise.
Charlotte’s favourite moments:
- Waking up in the morning to a cup of tea and Phil’s sister Claire singing “You’re Getting Married in the Morning”.
- Walking down the amazing staircase at the Midland hotel with my Dad.
- Walking down the aisle and seeing all our family and friends, then looking up and seeing Phil.
- Having pictures taken at the Eric Morecambe statue.
Wedding day advice:
Enjoy every minute of it because it really does go so fast! Don’t stress if things don’t go exactly to plan, no one will realise! Do your own thing, make it what you both want and don’t be swayed by anyone.
Recommended wedding suppliers:
- Photographer – Jonathan Bean Photography (www.beanphoto.co.uk)
- Dress and Suits – Butterfly Bridal (www.butterfly-bridal.co.uk)
- Cupcakes – Madam Chocolat (www.favoursbymadamchocolat.co.uk)
- Venue – Midland Hotel (www.englishlakes.co.uk/hotels/lancashire-hotels/the-midland-hotel-morecambe)