The venue is decorated with jars and lace, pearls and stationery with beautiful type – so many tea party wedding ideas to inspire your own big day. I’m guessing Hobbycraft will be sold out of lace by teatime!
Catherine and John chose the brilliantly-named Pixies in the Cellar to photograph their wedding. Their big day was at Hargate Hall just outside Buxton in Derbyshire. It’s a dream of a wedding day with vintage styling, gorgeous little details and creative ideas. Watch out for the bridesmaids, the girls on the stairs (so cute!), and all the lovely vintage bottles – I need some of these!
Who proposed, and how?
We had been travelling around New Zealand and on one warm beautiful evening whilst we were camping, looking over the most amazing views, John proposed. It was so romantic and perfect.
Wedding venue: Hargate Hall, Buxton
Wedding photographer: Pixies in the Cellar
www.pixiesinthecellar.co.uk Peter and Sara are professional wedding photographers based right on the borders of Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire and close to the Peak District – perfect for everywhere! 🙂
How would you describe your wedding style?
We wanted a relaxed and informal wedding where we could do things exactly our own way. We went for a vintage / English tea party wedding theme. In the lead up to the wedding we had a great time visiting vintage markets to get ideas and buy bits and bobs.
The wedding ceremony at Hargate Hall
We had a civil wedding ceremony and for our readings we chose two poems: ‘The One’ and ‘The Day You Will Always Remember’ both by unknown poets.
John had a kilt made in his own family tartan. Catherine wore ‘Tabitha’ by Charlotte Balbier.
I’ll never forget the feeling as I walked down the stairs and then saw John standing there, looking so handsome in his kilt. The ceremony was perfect and really relaxed. Everyone got to have a bit of a giggle as John was forced to say all three of his middle names.
The tea party wedding reception
- We kept the styling of the venue simple. We hung bunting in the hall where we got married and in the marquee where we had the wedding breakfast.
- There were fairy lights wrapped around the banister.
- We dotted vintage postcards and photographs around the place and also had an old typewriter for guests to type messages on.
- We made our own centrepieces using jam jars and old bottles.
- We also set up a vintage style tearoom in one of the apartments which was just off the main hall. In this we used many of the teacups, cake stands etc. that we had bought at vintage markets.
- Friends bought along all sorts of home baked cakes and, after the ceremony, our guests enjoyed these and some other nibbles we provided.
- We also had garden games going on throughout the day for the children and adults, as well as a dress up box that proved entertaining later on in the evening.
It is really difficult to choose the highlights as the whole day for us was perfect. The bouncy castle and the band were both very popular with guests, young and old!
Wedding music and entertainment
We had a range of music on our iPod, starting out with 30s and 40s music early in the day as guests enjoyed our tearoom. We had a band called the Henry Revue in the evening who played a variety of songs in a reggae style. The band was amazing and really got the party rocking.
Wedding day advice
Make sure you have a good group of friends and family to help make the day run smoothly and to ensure you don’t have to worry about a thing.
Don’t worry about whether all your guests are having a good enough time – they will be.
Avoid drinking too much early on as you want to be able to remember every single moment. Finally, get a bouncy castle! It kept the kids (and adults) amused all weekend!
Recommended wedding suppliers
- Our catering was by Golden Roasts. They were fantastic. http://goldenroasts.co.uk/
- We are over the moon with our photographs by Pixies in the Cellar. www.pixiesinthecellar.co.uk and on facebook www.facebook.com/pages/PixiesintheCellar-Wedding-Photography
- The bouncy castle was hired from FT Bouncy Castle Hire. www.ftbouncycastlehire.co.uk
- We used Sheffield PA Hire for the sound system. www.sheffieldpahire.co.uk