I honestly don’t know where to begin with today’s real wedding – the title doesn’t do it justice! Emily is our beautiful bride and her wedding story is full of little moments of delight. From the nun who catches the bouquet, to ‘Heston’ style catering, via a backwards proposal to Rob written on Emily’s own bottom… I absolutely love this to bits!
All images are by Lime Leaf Wedding Photography in Devon. Wedding photographer Laura says, “the more people we spoke to on the day the more it became clear that EVERYONE loved these two, and if there is one phrase I heard quite a lot on the day it was “that’s just so Emily”. Emily is extremely creative and was determined to put her own stamp on the day.”
She most certainly did! This is fabulous from beginning to end, words and pictures… ace! There are funny moments, beautiful ones and touching, heartwarming ones too. Shall I hand straight over to the bride to share her story with you? She tells it so well…
Emily & Rob’s Alice in Wonderland wedding in Oxfordshire…
Who proposed, and how?
I (Emily) had organised to propose on a deep sea dive in the Red sea by hiding a clam shell in a coral reef wall with a ring inside.
Unfortunately, I busted my ears on a previous dive so could not do this plan. I was really upset and Rob said that it really doesn’t matter, its just diving (little did he know!) so in the end, I had to write ‘Marry Me’ Across my white bikini bottom in permanent pen, using a mirror.
We went snorkelling and suddenly the waters were filled with millions of pink jellyfish, just like confetti! I quickly told him to look underwater through his snorkel and there it was: ‘em yrram’ . He got the idea!
What did you wear?
Rob wore top hat and tails with a king of hearts playing card button hole. I wore a fur shrug and 50’s style Justin Alexander dress with crystal detailing… not forgetting my queen of hearts seamed stockings!
Wedding venue: Combe church, then Freeland Village hall
How would you describe your wedding style? Alice in wonderland crazy
The wedding ceremony: Combe Longa church, Oxfordshire. Our readings were the extract from The Velveteen Rabbit and He Never Leaves the Seat Up by Pam Ayres.
The wedding reception
What were your highlights?
- My Aunty Liz from Paris catching the bouquet (she is a nun!!)
- Guests with teacup and teapot fascinators
- Bunny girl and boy waiters
- A vintage yellow school bus dropping the wedding party off
- My ‘Big Fat Gypsy Wedding’ style cake
- Singing a surprise song to my husband with the bridesmaids as backing singers
- My mother having just recovered from cancer being able to make our big day and meeting my nephews for the first time from Australia (who were also my cheekiy page boys!)
Wedding venue styling and details: anything goes
Memorable wedding day moments:
- my looking gorgeous and very very proud and him reading me a poem and making me cry
- my bridesmaids making me laugh during their speech
- all the mums helping from my local school with the decorations and table favours
- the amazing amazing gasp of delight when platters of ‘Heston’ type delights wowed our guests during dessert. Sadlers catering really pulled it off!
- My ex school pupils waiting for me dressed as bunny girls! Everybody being so nice to us!!
Wedding day advice:
Emily and Rob’s recommended wedding suppliers:
- Ido wedding videographer http://www.idoweddingfilms.co.uk/
- Limeleaf wedding photographers http://www.limeleafweddings.com and more from Emily and Rob’s big day at http://www.limeleafweddings.com/blog/2012/04/emily-and-rob-wedding-photography-at-combe-church-and-freeland-hall-near-oxford-in-oxfordshire/
- Sadlers catering, Faringdon http://www.sadlerscatering.co.uk/
- Nikki Nash wedding hair
- Rebecca jaques Wedding make up
- Graham Piggott artist for wedding invites http://www.piggottsculpture.co.uk/