Is summer 2012 a quiet one for weddings?

May I ask you a question, lovely blog readers? I know there are quite a few wedding suppliers reading English Wedding Blog – so hopefully you can help me with something today.

athelhampton house wedding blog Linus Moran

Athelhampton House wedding photography by Linus Moran – click to see the full blog post (it’s gorgeous!)

How are you finding the wedding season this year? I know of a few small wedding businesses who are struggling a little more than usual – the summer seems unusually quiet.  My calligraphy enquiries are on the slow side compared to last year, and I have friends who simply haven’t seen orders pick up over the summer months as they usually do.

So – a question for any wedding suppliers out there – how is this summer for you? And if you’re noticing it’s quieter, why do you think this is? Olympics fever? Are there fewer weddings this summer or are couples spending less and working to tighter wedding budgets?

I’d be very interested to hear what you think 🙂

• Nu Bride

Hi Claire – I was thinking the same thing.
    I definitely think the Olympics has had an impact. As a bride-to-be, when looking for dates in late August early September, we were advised of limited availability and potential disruption due to Olympic events. As a result we ended up booking an autumn wedding, that and the fact that it is significantly less expensive to have a wedding during the off peak season.
    And as a performer, I have definitely been less busy with wedding bookings this year, in contrast to my diary last year to last year at least 3 out of 4 weekends over summer were blocked out. So there is definitely something in the air. ;o)

Thank you Nova – very interesting to hear from a bride-to-be’s perspective as well. I wonder if we’ll have a busier autumn. Hope so!
      Love your blog and the philosophy behind it. It’s very true that black brides / grooms are underrepresented in the mainstream wedding magazines – and blogs. I see very few submissions of real weddings with a black bride or groom here. Wish there were more!

• Nu bride

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your response and for your kind comments! 🙂 I have a feeling we will be having a busy Autumn and Winter this year!
        Aw thank you very much, I am trying to tighten the gap and work towards better inclusion…baby steps!

Thank you so much for replying!
        Nova x

• chris hanley

We are booked to our maximum comfort zone. This year we have shot lots more destination weddings, august and september being our busiest months this year, December again coming a close second. 2013 is slow at the moment, I keep hearing lots don’t want to get married with a 13 in the year ??? Surely people can’t be that superstitious ?
    C

Hi Chris,
      I heard the same thing about 2013 before I wrote this blog post. Would be interesting to see a graph of the number of weddings per year for the last few decades…
      I knew you’d be fully booked – I’d fall off my chair if you weren’t. 🙂
      I wonder if it’s last minute services and suppliers who are having more of a quiet time… I’m hearing from stationery and accessories businesses that things are slower this year. And calligraphy… I always book up a couple of weeks in advance, six weeks tops!
      Still need to email you…
      C x

• Lisa Price

It’s definately been a quiet year for us as stationers. I believe it’s down to tight budgets & couples being more ‘money savvy’. There are things like photography & the dress that you can’t skimp on, but reception decor, stationery & even cakes can be homemade. We now keep in mind DIY & keeping things simple when designing new wedding stationery so that we can offer personalised & DIY.

• Louise

As a wedding stationer we were incredibly busy during the spring months (more than any other year), but summer weddings have been really quiet. Normally booking a couple of months in advance, but only about 3-4 weeks at the moment. Could be the Olympics and as a previous poster said due to the disruption and higher prices of everything in and around London during this time? It would put me off booking a summer wedding. Christmas weddings are coming in thick and fast, so hopefully the summer months being quiet is just a one off?

• Belinda McCarthy

2012 is pretty much full to capacity for me, but I have noticed in the last few weeks that it’s been quiet on the incoming enquiries front – I think perhaps it’s a combination of Olympics preamble (& now being in full swing) and the miserable weather bumming people out!

Thanks for your comments Louise & Belinda!
      It’s good to hear spring and autumn / Christmas are busy for you Louise. And Belinda – I think you’re right about the weather. Mind you, when we had that hot spell in May it was the first time I noticed my inbox was empty… can’t win! If it’s gorgeously sunny no one can see their screens, if it rains no one is in a weddingy mood! Ah well 🙂

• Tracy Morter

Not in numbers but I am lacking in London weddings. I think people are just avoiding it!
    Oddly enough I have never seen London so quiet! Everyone is staying away.