Mine is. There you go – let’s start a blog post with a confession! My wedding calligraphy business is going well, I love the work but… there’s something missing. Is anyone else out there looking for a bit of creative inspiration to inject into their work?
I’ve spent the day with two friends who inspire me – and I’m going to make my New Year’s Resolution now. I know it’s a bit early (but the pagan side of me says the first of December is surely something a bit new-yeary in the calendar). I’m determined to branch out a little.
So – wedding calligraphy is the most wonderful job in the world. It’s creative and pretty and I meet lovely people who appreciate my work. Lots of nice boxes ticked and a smile on my face, and theirs! I still feel I want more though.
How do you know when it’s time to get your business out of a creative rut?
- you know you can do more, but just don’t seem to have the time
- you admire others’ designs and creativity and wish you could be like them
- you feel quietly satisfied with what you do, but not thrilled or surprised by what you achieve
- financially, you’re ok: you can afford to take a day or two off and experiment with something new
Am I the only one? Have you been in a rut with your wedding business? Climbed out of one?
My New Year’s Resolution
It’s time to get creative. My friend Nia is playing with beautiful lettering and word art, which I love. My friend Jo has set up a little base for her wedding business in a beautiful new home – it’s a gorgeous space full of pretty things, full of potential for projects and creating stuff. Just by being with these two I’ve decided on my new year’s resolutions:
- I’m going to make big, exciting, colourful calligraphy art
- I’ll experiment with textures and sparkles and have lots of fun
- I’m – ooh! not sure about this yet… I’m thinking about an Etsy shop to sell little versions of my work outside the UK.
- It’s playtime.
I’d love to hear your experiences of being in a rut and getting out! Or if you’re in a similar situation, do you have an escape plan? Please share – I’m really curious about anyone else’s stories!
Lots of love,