email from mother in law to bride june 2011 daily mail

Have you seen the mother in law email?

The Telegraph and Daily Mail are today reporting on an email sent from a mother in law to her son’s bride. It’s not a nice story but one that gets me thinking and I’d love to hear your opinions on this one!

email from mother in law to bride june 2011 daily mail

Source: the Daily Mail (mother in law email to bride article)

Allegedly the mother in law emailed her son’s fiancée with a list of complaints about her behaviour saying:

• she lacked good manners
  • she should attend finishing school
  • she’d be a great candidate for Ladette to Lady
  • she didn’t try hard enough to fit in with the family
  • hiring a castle for the wedding was ‘brash, celebrity style behaviour’
  • her parents should have saved more for their daughter’s wedding

The girl was shocked to receive the email and forwarded it to a couple of friends… and so the story began – it’s now being shared all over the world!

So let me know what you think – who’s right here? Are you with the bride or does the mother in law have a point?

If you were in their shoes, what would you do now?

(ps – comments will be moderated and may be edited – “allegedly” is a good word in these situations 😉

• Katy Lunsford

wow… I have a lot of hand-written cards to catch up on! (although joking aside, this is something I think we should probably all do more of even in this digital age)
    Mother-in-law probably has a point, hard to say without knowing both parties in person, but certainly not ok to insult the family or be ungracious. However to in turn insult the bride-to-be’s family for not contributing enough is a little over the line too. Gosh, wonder how the wedding will be after all this!

So true Katy (not about the cards!) I can see both sides as well – but it’s that first step over the line in a situation like this that really opens the floodgates!
      Can you imagine emailing anyone to point out their flaws? Yikes. Brave (read: daft) lady.
      C x

• sally

Horrible! Bad manners are my biggest pet peeve but being deliberately insulting to cause upset to someone is in much worse taste! I wonder what her fiance thinks of his mother’s behaviour?

• sally

I’d also like to add at this point that my own mother-in-law-to-be is actually a saint! I lived with David for two months whilst house hunting and not once did she request a handwritten thank you card!!x

Heeee that last bit made me giggle, Sally!
      From what I read, the familiy are very much committed to not commenting at all on the news story – I do admire them for that.
      C xx