I always wonder who hires wedding planners: is it the brides with limitless budgets or is every modern bride hiring a wedding planner? Here we have the answers – and some great insights into the world of the wedding planner, from the First Annual UKAWP Survey. Read on for some very interesting wedding industry stats from one of English Wedding’s recommended wedding suppliers.
UK Wedding Planning Trends 2011
The UK Alliance of Wedding Planners (UKAWP) has undertaken its first annual online survey amongst UK planners, looking into the weddings they plan.
Wedding Planning Survey Results
- The average budget clients have for their weddings is between £20,000 and £30,000 say 38% of planners, however nearly 20% spend between £30,000 and £40,000, with 10% each spending £40,000 – £50,000 and £50,000+.
- Most planners (54%) use between 5 and 10 suppliers at a wedding, with 27% using 10-15 and 10% using 15-20.
- The average number of guests at weddings planned by respondents is 10-150 (63%), with 25% planning weddings for 50-100, 6% planning weddings for 150-200 and only 8% planning weddings for 200+.
- Looking into the venues planners work in for their clients, the popularity was as follows, with the most popular first: Manor/ Country House; Hotel; Marquee; Castle; Restaurant or Hall
- Most UK wedding planners (50%) currently manage between 1 and 5 weddings per annum, with 40% planning 5-10, 4% planning 10-15 and just a handful planning over 20 each year.
- Planners were asked, when planning weddings, which were their 3 top supplier needs. Responses were 1 Venues, 2 Caterers, 3 photographers, 4 Florists, 5 Bands, 6 Theming/ decoration, 7 Furniture and other hire/ Cake designers.
- We asked planners who organise corporate events as well as weddings what they believe the main difference is. Overwhelmingly (70%) respondents said there is ‘less emotion involved’. Otherwise 11% mentioned the shorter lead time and 8% referred us to the fact that they require fewer meetings.
Sandy Moretta, UKAWP Membership Director said ‘We have always aimed to attract planners who work with the complete range of brides and budgets. As the current average wedding budget is around £22,000 it is great to see that planners around the country are working with a full range, with the average being just above the national average. We hope this shows brides and grooms that wedding planners are there for many weddings, not simply those brides with very high budgets’.
Kelly Chandler, UKAWP Marketing & Finance Director, added ‘It is interesting to see that wedding planners judge the main difference between weddings and corporate events is the level of emotion involved. Having a background in the latter and now working with brides I certainly see this trend myself’.
More wedding planning surveys in years to come
It’s good to hear that the UKAWP plans to canvass a similar audience annually with these questions, and possibly some more in-depth issues, in order to track trends in weddings organised by UK planners.
Find out more about the UKAWP
The UKAWP (www.ukawp.com) is a growing group of the most professional wedding planners. Every member is thoroughly vetted for experience and professionalism. All the directors have worked on a wide variety of weddings in locations across the UK and are well known ambassadors for the industry. For more information on the alliance, training courses, workshop and membership, please contact Kelly on 01483 282858 or Kelly@ukawp.com.